A "students' library" is established in Osgoode Hall. Called the Phillips Stewart Library in recognition of the bequest from Thomas Brown Phillips Stewart, a poet and student-barrister, registered in the first year of the new school in 1889, who died tragically at the age of 27 before he could graduate. He left his estate of $7,599.64 to the Law Society to endow a fund to purchase books expressly for the use of students. Today's Osgoode Hall Law School Library still has most of these books in the collections.
Courtesy of the Osgoode Hall Law School Archives
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 License.