Conference Examines Complementary Roles of Public & Private Enforcement in Investor Recovery
WHAT: A one-day conference, entitled Public & Private Securities Enforcement: Improving Recovery for Harmed Investors, hosted by Osgoode Hall Law School of York University and the Canadian Foundation for Advancement of Investor Rights (FAIR Canada).
The conference will bring together representatives of regulators, legal practitioners, academic experts (including four Osgoode professors) and investor-focused policy commentators to discuss the complementary roles of public enforcement by securities regulators and private enforcement through securities class actions and other means.
The keynote address at 8:40 a.m. by Monica Kowal, Vice Chair, Ontario Securities Commission, will be followed by seven panel discussions:
• Relationship between Public Regulatory Enforcement and Private Securities Class Actions;
• Investor Recovery Facilitated by Securities Regulators: An Analysis of the Canadian versus the SEC Experience;
• Jurisdictional Issues involving Foreign Investors, Foreign Exchanges and Foreign Public Companies;
• Harmed Investor, Speedy Recovery: Industry-Funded Investor Compensation Funds;
• The Impact of Whistleblower Programs on Investor Recovery;
• Achieving Efficient and Effective Settlements under the OSC’s New No-Contest Settlement Scheme;
• Recovery for Investors through Ombudservices.
Agenda and speakers’ list available online:http://issuu.com/osgooderesearch/docs/investor_recovery_conference_-_agen
WHEN: Monday, October 26, 2015, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: Osgoode Professional Development Centre, 1 Dundas Street West, 26th Floor. (The program is eligible for 6 Substantive Hours towards the annual CPD requirement with the Law Society of Upper Canada.)
York University is known for championing new ways of thinking that drive teaching and research excellence. Our 52,000 students receive the education they need to create big ideas that make an impact on the world. Meaningful and sometimes unexpected careers result from cross-discipline programming, innovative course design and diverse experiential learning opportunities. York students and graduates push limits, achieve goals and find solutions to the world’s most pressing social challenges, empowered by a strong community that opens minds. York U is an internationally recognized research university – our 11 faculties and 24 research centres have partnerships with 200+ leading universities worldwide.
Virginia Corner, Communications Manager, Osgoode Hall Law School of York University, 416-736-5820, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of External Relations & Communications, "Conference Examines Complementary Roles of Public & Private Enforcement in Investor Recovery" (2015). Media Releases. 62.