The images in this collection are collected from several series of historical photos throughout Osgoode Digital Commons.
If you would like to view the images in their original galleries please follow the links below:Osgoode@125 Historical Photo Exhibit
Graduating Class Composites
1892 - A Generous Bequest
A "students' library" is established in Osgoode Hall. Called the Phillips Stewart Library in recognition of the bequest from Thomas Brown Phillips Stewart, a poet and student-barrister, registered in the first year of the new school in 1889, who died tragically at the age of 27 before he could graduate. He left his estate of $7,599.64 to the Law Society to endow a fund to purchase books expressly for the use of students. Today's Osgoode Hall Law School Library still has most of these books in the collections.
1889 - Not-So-Humble Beginnings
Although Osgoode Hall can trace its history back to the 1820s, and count such Canadian luminaries as Sir John A. MacDonald among its graduates, it is in 1889 that Osgoode Hall is reorganized and the Law Society of Upper Canada permanently establishes the Law School on-site. From September to April, students go to lectures in the morning and spend the rest of the day working in a firm on Bay Street. There are only five subjects in first year. Each class is taught by one of two part-time lecturers and one principal: William A. Reeve.